🥘 Traditional Spanish Paella Recipe
Traditional Spanish Paella
You will need:
- 2 cups of short-grain Spanish rice
- 4 cups of chicken stock
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 cup of green peas
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of saffron threads
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 pound of chicken thighs, cut into pieces
- 1/2 pound of rabbit meat, cut into pieces (optional)
- 1/2 pound of shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound of mussels, cleaned
- Salt and pepper to taste
- First, heat the olive oil in a large paella pan over medium heat.
- Next, add the chicken and rabbit (if you're using it) to the pan. Cook the meat, stirring occasionally, until it's browned on all sides. This should take about 10 minutes.
- Then, add the finely chopped onion, minced garlic, and chopped bell pepper to the pan. Sauté these ingredients until they're softened and fragrant, which should take about 5 minutes.
- Now, stir in the chopped tomato, green peas, and paprika. Let these ingredients cook together for a few minutes until the tomatoes are broken down and the peas are bright green.
- Next, add the rice and saffron to the pan. Stir everything together so that the rice is well coated in the oil and mixed with the vegetables.
- Pour in the chicken stock, stirring to distribute the ingredients evenly. Let the paella simmer for about 20 minutes, or until most of the liquid has been absorbed by the rice.
- At this point, add the shrimp and mussels to the pan. Cook the seafood until the shrimp is pink and the mussels have opened up, which should take about 5-10 minutes.
- Finally, season the paella with salt and pepper to taste. Serve it hot, straight from the pan, for a traditional Spanish dining experience.
While rabbit is traditional in authentic Spanish paella, it can be omitted if it's not to your liking. You can also add other seafood like squid or clams, or substitute the chicken with other meats.
Experience the flavors of Spain with this traditional Spanish Paella recipe. Paella is a classic dish that originated in the Valencia region of Spain and has since become a beloved staple in Spanish cuisine. It is a flavorful and vibrant rice dish that combines a variety of ingredients, including short-grain Spanish rice, chicken, seafood, and vegetables.
To make this delicious dish, you will need 2 cups of short-grain Spanish rice, 4 cups of chicken stock, 1 large onion finely chopped, 4 cloves of garlic minced, 1 red bell pepper chopped, 1 tomato chopped, 1 cup of green peas, 1/2 cup of olive oil, 1 teaspoon of saffron threads, 1/2 teaspoon of paprika, 1 pound of chicken thighs cut into pieces, 1/2 pound of rabbit meat cut into pieces (optional), 1/2 pound of shrimp peeled and deveined, 1/2 pound of mussels cleaned, and salt and pepper to taste.
To start, heat the olive oil in a paella pan and add the chicken and rabbit (if using) to the pan. Cook until browned, then add the onion, garlic, and bell pepper. Sauté until softened, then stir in the tomato, peas, and paprika. Add the rice and saffron, stirring to coat the rice with the oil and vegetables. Pour in the chicken stock and simmer for about 20 minutes. Finally, add the shrimp and mussels and cook until the seafood is done and the rice is tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
While rabbit is traditional in authentic Spanish paella, you can omit it if it's not to your liking. You can also customize the recipe by adding other seafood like squid or clams, or substituting the chicken with other meats. Paella is a versatile dish that allows for creativity and personalization.
The flavors of the saffron-infused rice, tender chicken, succulent seafood, and aromatic vegetables come together to create a truly memorable dining experience. Paella is not just a meal, but a celebration of Spanish culture and culinary tradition.
So, gather your ingredients, put on some Spanish music, and transport yourself to the vibrant streets of Spain with this traditional Spanish Paella recipe. Buen provecho!