🍲 Locro de Papa: Traditional Ecuadorian Potato Soup Recipe
Locro de Papa: Traditional Ecuadorian Potato Soup
You will need:
- Achiote powder
- Start by peeling and boiling the potatoes until they are soft. This should take about 20-30 minutes.
- While the potatoes are boiling, saute the onions and garlic in a separate pan until they are golden.
- Add the achiote powder and cumin to the sauteed onions and garlic, and stir until well combined.
- Once the potatoes are soft, drain them and mash them until smooth.
- Combine the mashed potatoes with the sauteed onions, garlic, and spices. Stir until well combined.
- Gradually add milk and cheese to the mixture, stirring constantly until the cheese is melted and the soup is creamy.
- Serve the soup hot, garnished with slices of avocado and a sprinkle of fresh cilantro on top.
This hearty and delicious soup is a staple in Ecuadorian cuisine. It's perfect for a cold day, or any time you want a comforting, hearty meal. The combination of potatoes, cheese, and spices creates a creamy, flavorful soup that's sure to satisfy.
Ecuadorian cuisine is known for its rich and flavorful dishes, and one of the most beloved traditional recipes is Locro de Papa, a hearty potato soup. This comforting soup is perfect for a cold day or anytime you're craving a delicious and satisfying meal. Let's dive into the ingredients and instructions to make this authentic Ecuadorian dish.
To make Locro de Papa, you will need a few key ingredients. Start with potatoes, which are the star of this soup. You'll also need garlic and onions to add depth of flavor. Achiote powder and cumin are essential spices that give the soup its distinctive taste. To make it creamy and rich, you'll need milk and cheese. Finally, top it off with avocado and cilantro for a fresh and vibrant garnish.
Now, let's move on to the instructions. Begin by boiling the potatoes until they are soft and easily mashable. While the potatoes are boiling, sauté the onions and garlic until they are fragrant and golden. This step adds a delicious aroma to the soup. Next, add the achiote powder and cumin to the sautéed onions and garlic, allowing the spices to bloom and release their flavors.
Once the potatoes are cooked, mash them until they are smooth and creamy. Combine the mashed potatoes with the sautéed onions and garlic mixture, creating a base for the soup. To make it even more indulgent, add milk and cheese to the mixture, stirring until everything is well combined and the cheese has melted.
Now, it's time to serve the Locro de Papa. Ladle the soup into bowls and top each serving with slices of avocado and a sprinkle of fresh cilantro. The creamy soup, paired with the creamy avocado and the herbaceous cilantro, creates a perfect balance of flavors and textures.
Locro de Papa is a true taste of Ecuador, showcasing the country's love for potatoes and their ability to create comforting and satisfying dishes. This traditional soup is a must-try when visiting Ecuador or when you want to experience the flavors of this beautiful country from the comfort of your own home.
So, gather your ingredients, follow the instructions, and get ready to enjoy a bowl of Locro de Papa. This Ecuadorian potato soup will warm your heart and satisfy your taste buds with its rich and comforting flavors.